Write to your MP
We’ve made it really easy to find out who your MP is and ask them to support the campaign.
- Visit https://www.mysociety.org/wehelpyou/contact-your-mp/ and enter your postcode.
- Click on your MP’s name.
- Copy and paste the text below into the message box provided. Please add in a sentence or two where indicated about how it matters to your personally.
- Complete the rest of the short form, and press ‘preview and send’
- Important – once you have previewed and submitted your letter you will receive and email with a link to confirm that you would like the letter to be sent to your MP. Don’t forget to click the link or your message will not be sent.
Copy and paste the following text:
I am writing to you as a concerned constituent to ask you to join me in extending your support to the Safe Online Spaces campaign. Led by long established eating disorder organisation, Talk ED (formerly Anorexia and Bulimia Care), the campaign brings together two constituent led petitions under the banner of TRUST and TRANSPARENCY.
TRUST is a call to advertisers to do the right thing and in support of the Stop Targeting Eating Disorders petition:
asks that governance put in place to stop advertisers targeting people affected by eating disorders and any associated eating disorder related search terms with products such as body/face altering software, calorie tracking apps and supplements to support weight loss etc.
TRANSPARENCY centres around user-generated content and asks that laws are amended for social media platforms whereby if body related content is posted and a filter or editing app is used, it must be labelled as altered so the user is aware. This supports the petition to Change Social Media Laws to State When Content is Filtered or Edited:
https://www.change.org/p/change-social-media-laws-to-state-when-content-is-filtered-or-edited and the #HonestyAboutEditing campaign which has gained significant momentum since its launch only a matter of months ago, including parliamentary support from Watford MP Dean Russell.
This matters to me personally as <<PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN WORDS>>
In sum, I am asking you to:
1. Lend your support to the Safe Online Spaces campaign via your social media channels and be sure to champion THE hashtag #SafeOnlineSpaces
2. Raise the campaign issues with the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care or any other Ministers you believe to be relevant.
3. Work with Talk ED to champion Safe Online Spaces in Parliament going forward.
With all points considered, I urge you to take action and extend your support to the Safe Online Spaces campaign and help our community work towards honest, inclusive online environments to protect not only our most vulnerable constituents, but each and every one of us living a life online.
Thank you for taking the time to consider this, I look forward to hearing from you.